Create a cute abstract mobile – with a bit of help from any kids you have floating around. With Resene.
You will need:
Paper and thin card
Resene test pots in: Resene Dali, Resene, Bellbottom, Blue, Resene Daredevil, Resene Bright Lights, Resense Cut Glass, Resene Quickstep and Resene Shirley Temple
Twine or string
1. Draw a series of abstract shapes onto paper.
2. Cut these shapes out and trace them onto card – you will need to cut two matching sides from card for each shape.
3. Paint opposite sides of each pair of shapes using each Resene testpot colour. Leave to dry.
3. Tie two pieces of dowel together at right angles using twine. Use a saw to trim dowel first if needed and sand an indent in the centre of one of the dowel lengths to help secure it.
3. Tie pieces of twine to the dowel and attach the painted shapes using double-sided tape so that the sides of each shape encase the twine.
3. Once all your shapes are attached, cut any excess string, then hang.
CREDITS: Floor in Resene Half Rakaia; walls in Resene Half Spanish White; stool in Resene Dali; mobile in Resene Dali, Resene Bellbottom Blue, Resene Daredevil, Resene Bright Lights, Resene Cut Glass, Resene Quickstep and Resene Shirley Temple, resene.co.nz. Sage and Clare Quinn Stripe bean bag, $329, teapea.co.nz. Sprinkle cushion, $54.95, milkandsugar.com.au. Whale cushion, $39.95, naturebaby.co.nz. Gumboots, $39.90, countryroad.com.au. Adventure rug, $109, concreteblush.com. Wooden drum toy, $49.95; Margaret Ostheimer wooden toys: bear, $25.95; stag, $34.95; tree, $29.95, naturebaby.co.nz. Marley slate small basket, $35.95, milkandsugar.com.au. All other items stylist’s own.
Pretty painted handles make handy hangers and double as cute kids’-room decorations.
YOU WILL NEED:
Door knobs in a variety of sizes from Mitre 10 (screws included)
Resene testpots in Resene Buttercup, Resene Glorious, Resene Abbey Road, Resene Curiosity and Resene Sakura
1. Come up with your knob layout design – we chose a cute, simple house shape.
2. Apply your Resene testpot paint to the knobs, and leave to dry. A second coat may be needed for some colours. Use a variety of complementary colours.
3. Arrange your knob on the floor in the pattern you want, before attaching them to the wall, paying attention to which colours are sitting next to each other.
4. Measure and mark the knob placement on the wall, using Blu Tack to help if needed. Use a long ruler and step back regularly to check the placement. Drill holes for each and screw in the knobs.
Floor in Resene Half Rakaia; walls in Resene Half Spanish White; knobs in Resene Buttercup, Resene Glorious, Resene Abbey Road, Resene Curiosity and Resene Sakura, resene.co.nz. Small Cloud coathanger, $15, teapea.co.nz. Yoke detail dress, $64.90, countryroad.com.au. Wooden toy camera, $59.90, beaumondebabe.com. Meri Meri Cat drawstring backpack, $56.80, oxted.co.nz. Puzzle cushion, $54.95, milkandsugar.com.au. Confetti round cushion, $49, teapea.co.nz. Aspen blanket, from $109.95, naturebaby.co.nz. Bumble cushion in rose, $99, concreteblush.com. Sage and Clare Sigrid linen chainstitch cushion, $189, teapea.co.nz. Kip & Co fitted cot sheet, $79, collected.co.nz. Kalon caravan cot (sides removed), $1495, naturebaby.co.nz. Toms classic canvas shoes, $54.95, naturebaby.co.nz. Muskhane Felt Tatopani rug, $199, teapea.co.nz. Jelly Gummy Bear lamp, $199, collected.co.nz.
Projects & styling Juliette Wanty
Photography Wendy Fenwick