Looking to work printed textiles into your bedroom scheme? Here’s how to build a mix-and-match theme with Città’s new Bolivia inspired collection.
In association with Città.
1. Your bed linen will take centre stage, but your furniture shouldn’t pale in comparison. When it comes to your bedside tables, think carefully about what you really need: storage? Space for a lamp? Mismatched tables can add an interesting dimension. Meanwhile, a textured bedhead in a neutral colour provides an additional layer of comfort. Style it simply with a pair of pillows, or use it as a backdrop for an array of cushions, as we have here.
2. If you want to work printed textiles into your scheme, sticking to a simple colour palette will ensure a cohesive look. Build on the mix-and-match theme by teaming your selected duvet set with an alternative pair of pillows in a pattern of a different scale.
3. To style this look, begin with two pillows in black and white. Fold the sheet over the duvet, then stack the pillows behind the fold, one on top of the other for visual effect. Add a euro pillow for height and a velvet cushion for texture; we’ve used rusty hues to bring warmth to the neutral bedding.
4. With your bed linen basics sorted, it’s time to amp up the personality. Choose two or three hero cushion designs; go for prints in a variety of weights and styles. A throw on the end of your bed is more than just a cosy comforter – it also grounds the scene and breaks up the duvet’s print. To achieve that casually-tossed-here look, take opposite corners of the throw and stretch them towards the sides of the bed.
5. Think outside the square – the decorations on your walls don’t have to be framed artworks. Everyday items, such as hats, can become beautiful when grouped together. Follow the stylists’ rule and arrange them in groups of three or five.
Show us how you style your sleep space! To go in the draw to win a $1500 voucher from Città, follow @homestylemag and @citta on Instagram, then style, snap and share with #cittahomestyle.
For more tips on how to give your sleep space a style makeover, stay tuned for the April/May issue of homestyle.
ON WALL, FROM LEFT Hats, from $59.90 each, cittadesign.com. Collage Composition No 1 artwork, from $90, samanthatotty.com. ON FLOOR, FROM LEFT Compound tallboy, $1890; Rita wool scarf, $89.90; Gava planter, $47.90; Gaussian vessel, from $99.90; Prado 3 photo frame, $209; Linear two-tier side table, $440; Karite hand cream, $14.90; Ombre table lamp, $299; Talo coffee cup, $21.90; Prado photo frame, $79.90; Fenris rug, from $1340; American Oak Low stool, $320; Compound bedside cabinet, $690; Oku storage box lid/trays, from $29.90; Marble bowl, $7.10; Kiondo 50/50 bag, $189; Adela wool-blend cardigan, $269, all cittadesign.com. BED, FROM LEFT Quilted reversible bedhead, from $1490; Condor cushion cover, $69.90; Angulo cushion cover, $59.90; Cotton velvet cushion cover, $39.90; Sove linen euro pillowcase, $39.90; Hola knitted wool cushion cover, $59.90; Rio PR pillowcase, $69.90/pair; Montana PR pillowcase, $59.90/pair; Montana duvet cover, from $139; Moss Stitch wool throw, $229, all cittadesign.com. Plant, books, photos and vases stylists’ own. Stone Gauze linen fabric (used as curtain), $52/m, marthas.co.nz.
Styling Alice Lines & Sam van Kan
Photography Simon Wilson