This sun-drenched courtyard made with Resene outdoor products brings the feels with a clever textural effect that you can try, too.
In association with Resene.
1. Texture brings soul to spaces — and not just interior ones. To create these limewashed-look courtyard walls and bench seat, apply a basecoat of Resene Lumbersider tinted to Resene Half Spanish White. Allow to dry, then apply a second coat.
2. Mix together 1L of Resene FX Paint Effects Medium with a 60ml testpot of Resene Moccasin. For a larger area, multiply these quantities.
3. Brush the Resene FX Paint Effects mixture onto your walls and seat in big cross shapes, making broad strokes. After completing a small section, use an absorbent rag to rub and blend the mixture into the surface, working quickly before it dries. (You can add Resene Hot Weather Additive to slow the drying time if you need to.) Repeat this in sections until your walls and seat are entirely covered. Allow to dry.
4. Mix together 1L of Resene FX Paint Effects Medium with a 60ml testpot of Resene Silver Chalice. Repeat the step above, painting crosses and blending them in with a cloth.
5. We brought texture to our flooring too by staining some low-cost concrete pavers with Resene Concrete Stain tinted to Resene Autumn Leaves. Ensure your pavers are clean and dry, then apply a single coat to each before leaving them to dry outside. There’ll be some variation between pavers, which adds to the effect when you arrange them en masse. For a more saturated finish, simply apply two coats of your stain.
Stylist’s tips The best thing about summer is the chance to loosen up and the same
is true of your styling. Let unfussy textural interior items like cushions go on day trips to your outdoor areas, position other pieces for ease of use and embrace the natural imperfections of plants to create a zone where comfort reigns supreme.
BACKDROP Walls and bench seat in Resene Lumbersider in Resene Half Spanish White, and Resene FX Paint Effects Medium mixed with Resene Moccasin and Resene Silver Chalice; concrete pavers in Resene Concrete Stain in Resene Autumn Leaves, resene.co.nz. OPPOSITE, FROM LEFT Sling Ray chair by Ryder Jones, $800, opheliamikkelson.com.
Temuka vase, $95; 80s Cream vase, $65; Temuka Jasperware vase, $120; terracotta horse head, $180; Saddlebag cushion, $265, babelogue.shop. Tear Drop cushion cover,
$79, corcovado.co.nz. Washed Woven bolster cushion cover $60, cittadesign.com. Tiny kilim cushion, $65, babelogue.shop. ADDITIONAL ITEMS ABOVE RIGHT Dracena plant in White pot, from $120, plantandpot.nz. Canvas Taupe outdoor cushion, from $130, and Blend Clay outdoor cushion, from $170, coastnewzealand.com.